Sunday, July 2, 2017

Horsemanship First

^from today's long line session

This past week I was signed up to participate in another Stephen Hayes clinic. I had learned so much from him in the one day I rode with him back in April that I couldn't wait to show him all that we had improved over the last two months! But Bandit had other plans…

After winning both his classes and the high point Thoroughbred award at his last show, Bandit became impatient in the trailer resulting in a pretty scary accident. He had reared up, pulled back and sat on the divider of the slant load trailer someone had kindly let me borrow. He broke the metal divider into pieces and when he spun around in the trailer he cut his hip where the divider had been attached to the trailer wall (sharp!). Luckily his injuries have proven to be superficial although the one on his hip did require stitches, the injuries were not my main concern. His brain was. He had stood quietly on the trailer the other times we had shown here and even stood quietly on the trailer when we got there that day while I watched a few others ride. I assumed that he was just done for the day and decided that since we weren't heading home right when he wanted that he would throw a temper tantrum. I guess he's also preparing me for the one day I decide to have children…

^ The Accuhorsemat helps Bandit relax but also helps with recovery

Two days after the incident I was off to Maryland for a 4 day weekend while he was able to enjoy some time off just turned out with friends. But of course when I returned he had pulled yet another shoe (4th one in 4 weeks), only making my decision to try glue ons that much easier. But when we had to lip twitch him for my farrier to safely put glue on shoes on I knew something with him just 
wasn't right. He's never been great for the farrier but never that bad. This time my farrier spoke up after I told him about the trailer accident…”he's herd bound”, he said. He was absolutely right. It's summer, he's out with a ton of mares (few geldings too) and they are all coming into season. He's never been bad though for me to bring in and ride, the riding had been going so well! But his manners had definitely worsened on the ground and the trailer accident day he acted naughty when he first got on, just pissed really. So now what?
Ones first idea would be to separate him from the herd right? Well unfortunately it's not that easy in my situation. I could separate him to the barn and a very small paddock but he would be the only horse. Horses are herd animals and while I hate attachment issues I do feel these issues are workable without making him crazy being completely alone. Also this is the farm I live and work on so just switching boarding situations is also not the answer. 

So first thing I did was withdraw from the clinic. It would not only be unsafe to trailer him after his recent accident but it also wouldn't be fair. I could have been selfish and got him to the clinic just because I had already entered and really wanted to participate but what good would that do? This horse means a lot to me and getting his brain back is far more important, there will always be more clinics. For the last week and a half we have taken a few steps back in our training and made an adjustment to his turnout schedule. He now goes out with the herd at night and comes in a small pen next to another horse during the day (also helping moderate his love for the pond and keeping shoes on). Thankfully I have access to a great round pen which has become our new best friend. We literally have gone back to square one. Ground tying, personal space, giving to pressure, etc. Once I felt like I had his attention better on the ground I decided to reintroduce the trailer. Starting with my boss’s large polo stock trailer. The first day he spent 20 minutes going backwards saying NO, but after putting a friend on for him he finally obliged. Day 2, walked right on the trailer with out any issue(or friend). Day 3…SELF loaded himself on to the trailer! You can imagine my excitement, serious proud mom moment. 

^He sure does love a nice hack on the buckle, who doesn't? 

Fast forward to today. Bandit had the best ground work session, the lightest and most responsive he’s been with everything from backing up to just bending his neck around to each side. Everything I had been working on for the last week or so he was fully processing. I decided to try loading him on the same trailer he had the accident on. He walked right on, but I knew he nervous so we just went on and off several times and will do so everyday until I can see the nervousness dissipate. After, I went on with my plan to start him back longlining today. He was absolutely brilliant. I ended today’s session with him thinking about the blood, sweat, tears and stress he had caused me over the last few weeks and how each brilliant moment he had today made it all worth it. Are we done? Of course not but today I was able to reassure he and myself that we are back on the right track. I have made the decision to make July the month we spend continuing to work on the ground with regular round pen sessions, longlining and a couple trail rides a week. Call it a break from “regular” training. The riding is there and there is no question he is my dressage horse but I want to prolong what I have with him. The Retired Racehorse Project is still 4 months away, we have plenty of time and when I think about my future with this horse, it will all be worth it. Please stay tuned to the Dynasty Sport horse Facebook page as I hope get videos of us working on all of the above! 

Remember that while yes we are teaching these horses, they are also teaching us. Listen to them. Let them humble you. The greatest reward is not in what we give them but in what they give us.

 ^from his last show







2 comments:

  1. Kinda surprised he went off like that in a trailer but really glad for you both that it wasnt any worse. Been following him since you got him and he always seemed like such a sensible guy.
    Hope the rest of the summer is "mishap" uneventful & training progressive. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really is very sensible and very smart. But he is also a red head that can be a little fiery at times. I also think he is claustrophobic and may have had a gate accident which I believe ties into the few quirks he has. Just based on a few things I have noticed about him and having broken horses at the track...

      Delete