Monday, November 14, 2016

The Sport, The Legacy, The Story...

(Indulgent: 2013 Godolphin Mare trained in Aiken)

In August of 2015 I loaded up my Heart Horse and traveled to Maryland to prepare for "Thoroughbreds For All: Saratoga" in pursuit of the dream to compete and place in the Retired Racehorse Project in Lexington, Kentucky. That same week I received a heartbreaking phone call. My fellow exercise rider and partner said "Hey, .... so it looks like we won't be partners next year." The depth in his tone concerned me and I questioned if he was leaving. As he explained what he meant, my heart sank into my stomach and the reality of what was unfolding in Aiken began to make my mind turn in circles. 
(Fullback aka "Stellar")
My job with Darley in Aiken had meant so much to me the past 3 seasons. Getting word that they would not be continuing their training operation in Aiken was not something I had expected or even been prepared for, quite the contrary I was excited to start my next season; I loved my job, I loved the horses and I loved learning from each horse I was able to put my hands on. I had no idea then that my relationship with Darley would lead to something so much more than breaking and galloping 2 year olds. My Heart Horse paved the way to a much brighter future. 
(Galloping for Darley at the Aiken Training Track)

Looking back on the days that encompassed my employment with Darley and watching the relationship bloom and unfold between myself and my racing connections today, I realize how blessed I am to associate myself with such an outstanding organization. My most recent trip to Kentucky was exceptionally special. I was able to take Fullback's (Stellar's) owner and Coordinate's owner on a special behind the scenes farm tour at Godolphin. We had the honor of being hosted by Graham Lovatt who is the current Stallion Manager at Jonabell. We walked through the barns and gawked at all the handsome men, and by men of course I mean the strapping stud muffin stallions! 

We took a turn to the breeding sheds where Graham explained all the complexities of hosting live covers. We talked about the footing, and joked about the peculiarities of each stallion and how they prepare the breeding sheds to best accommodate each one. As we walked out of the breeding shed the graveyard caught the corner of my eye... Stellar's mom had passed since I had gotten him and I wanted to pay my respects before we left for the most wonderful Christmas present I could have ever received. We made our way over and as we walked through the graveyard I caught a inside glimpse of the racing industry that the rest of the world rarely gets to see ... "Yes, it's a job, yes we get paid for it, but it's a passion ... that's why we do this. When you love these horses, and spend every day with them, you're invested, that's why we love this and that's why we do it." (Graham Lovatt, Stallion Manager at Jonabell, Darley and Godolphin)
(Graham Lovatt walking us through the graveyard)

My racing connections became so much more real to me in that moment. The emotion was tangible. There's a passion in these aisle ways, in the shed rows, and in the stalls of every horse that wears the blue, new and old. There's love for the horse and for the sport. I see compassion in their eyes, the horse, the handlers, the grooms, the barn managers, and the office staff. The integrity is not only burned into the heart of every employee but bred into the DNA of every thoroughbred born from the royal bloodline of Dubai's Godolphin


To "Stellar's" mum: It is because of you that he got his name Stellar. He was just that from the very beginning, stellar. Words could not express the sadness in my heart the day I found out you had passed. It was not just another broodmare to me that had went on to horsey heaven, it was a legacy. A legacy that I am so grateful to have known. May you be running wild and free in the lands of which I will one day see you again. Your amazing heart and good looks live on through Fullback and his siblings, we love you. Rest in peace, Stellar Jayne. -Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment